View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Brian T.

You will likely get responses all over the board on this type of question. It really depends on your focus and what you like. Until you find out what you like, I will recommend a couple of "staple" cards that will always be able to be resold and quickly - due to demand. The key to this is to have something cool and desireable if you decide to change directions. Again, your collection and interests will change as you delve deeper into the hobby - as it should. For starters, some classic cards for a collection may include.

a T206 Ty Cobb - Red Portrait (common back, for starters)
a 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth - take your pick of any of the 4 (probably #144 or #53 though)
a 1934 Goudey Lou Gehrig #37 - a HOF caliber card on most peoples list (including mine)

I only listed three there and only one of those is a tobacco card. I will let others add to the list.

Also, when starting out... don't buy raw cards - especially on eBay. Since these cards that I have listed are very popular, they are also very commonly faked. Trust grading companies SGC or PSA with anything pre-war. Others may add BVG or GAI to that list of grading companies, but DO NOT stray beyond those four. They are the staples. Many will have preferences of one or the other. None is infallable, but for starters, trust SGC and PSA (especially SGC, in my opinion) until you learn more about the cards you are collecting.

Good luck and enjoy what you are collecting. That is more important than collecting what someone else thinks you should have. That said, I doubt anyone would fault you for having a Cobb, Ruth, and Gehrig in your collection.