View Single Post
Old 09-19-2021, 10:05 AM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

The first page from the album.

The cards on top row right and and the middle row center and right all appear to be Victor Starffin. The middle row right card image looks like it is from 1946 as the uniform he is wearing a Pacific Baseball Club uniform and the team would change its name to the Taiyo Robins in 1947. I've seen a couple of other bromides with this same image (listed at auction as 1947 uncatalogued, suggesting 1946 is correct for the image), but not this exact card with the baseball glove in the lower left.

The upper right card is likely from 1948. Starffin moved to the Stars in 1948 and this uniform was only used by the team in 1947 and 1948. The upper left card is a little harder to read, but I think it reads "Naito," in which case it is probably Kozo Naito (see bottom right card, below).

If I am translating correctly (a totally new activity for me), the bottom left cards is Isegawa, also of Pacific. Could that be Masumi Isekawa instead? If so, the image would be from 1946, the only year he played for that team. The bottom center card reads "Shigematsu" (again only if I am correct), which I guess must be Michio Shigematsu who played from 1936-50 but only for the stars in 1947. Bottom right also looks like a card from the Stars. The name looks like "Naito." If that's the case, then probably the pitcher Kozo Naito, who played from 1936-51. The card is likely from 1946-48, his tenure on Gold Star and then the Stars. I'll try to research the uniform to get an exact year.

Will work on identifying the other cards and follow up as soon as I have some progress....

Naito - Starffin 1948
Mitomi? - Starffin - Starffin 1946
Isekawa 1947 - Shigematsu 1947 - Naito

(the dates above are for the images, not the issue...hoping to narrow down the sets based on image dates)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bromide page 1.jpg (81.1 KB, 438 views)

Last edited by Frankish; 10-05-2021 at 09:04 AM.