View Single Post
Old 12-07-2022, 01:41 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

It's a choice to smoke cigarettes, it's a choice to eat fast food, it's a choice to do bad things to yourself for the short term pleasure of it. It is not a choice any one makes anyone else do. It is a choice one is free to make.

If one lacks self control or discipline, then they will probably eat poorly and suffer the obesity and shortened life as a result. Again, you can eat perfectly fine for the same or less money than fast food. It is not difficult to find healthy food in any sizable city in the nation. I was poor and broke living in the hood during college. I managed to eat just fine after I had the wake up call that it might not be wise to stuff garbage into my stomach every day. It's a matter of basic discipline and self-control. Eat healthier to be healthier, eat less to lose weight. Obesity is rampant in the middle and upper classes too. It's not a money problem (many other things negative to health are), obesity is a self-control problem. I want McNuggets too, they're fantastic. But I don't go get them. That is not because I'm not poor anymore, it's because I exercise basic restraint. My grocery store sells the big huge tub of Spinach for the same $5 that the 20 piece McNugget costs. I am confident other people are perfectly capable of this very basic discipline as well. It is not a special quality. I think a poor person is just as capable as possessing discipline or any other virtue as a middle class or upper class person.