View Single Post
Old 01-11-2021, 02:45 PM
Tim Odeen

Default I focus on Not Cards

I have a few cards, but mostly I have photos and memorabilia. I started collecting vintage when I saw my modern collection declining in value. I thought it was a waste of money to pay $100, just to have the card be valued at $50 five years later. I'd rather put my limited resources into something that'll at least be the same price down the road.

I have noticed that my pre-war preference centers on the 1930s. While I mainly collect the Cincinnati Reds, sometimes I diversify. I have a small Dizzy Dean collection (pins, auto). I have a small Gehrig collection (Louisville Slugger mag, 33 Goudey, LS advertisement). And I have a growing Dimaggio collection (photos, magazines, LS ads).

Earlier than that, I primarily focus on Tris Speaker, who is still considered an undervalued HOF by just about everyone on Net54.

There are so many options outside of just card collecting for this era, and plenty of them are affordable for collectors on a budget. The Louisville Slugger FAMOUS SLUGGERS magazine is a nice small publication that honors the Batting Crown winners. It is 1/4 the size of Baseball Magazine, and you can pick these up for $20 - $50. Baseball magazine publications, and their full page inserts of players are also fun additions. There is a group of collectors on this site that focus on the magazine premiums.

If you pick up some of these magazines, magazine premiums, photos, and memorabilia, and then pair them with a card or two, you can make a really nice display that stands out.
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo