Thread: Gretzky future
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2021, 04:21 AM

In 1987 at the National in Atlantic City dealers were thrilled that Lemieux rookies were selling for $7 and Gretzky rookies were selling for $50.
They had never seen an increase in price like that and couldn't get their cards out fast enough to sell.

In 1993 Gretzky rookies were selling for 400-500 and Lemieux rookies were
selling for 300. Sellers were loving it.

Today they're going for thousands of dollars.

I do not see that trend reversing. Kids who watched Lemieux in 1992 are now
45-50 years old. When they hit their retirement years in 15-20 years they
will be looking for the best Lemieux and Gretzky rookies they can find.

Lots of them to choose from, so look for the best ones. Supply is there, but quality is not always there. When you see a good one, buy it.
I just paid $5200 for this one, which was a little over what 5's are going for right now. Whenever I see a good one I buy it, because what I've learned from this
hobby is that you'll never lose money with Gretzky or Lemieux. You may make more with Jordan and Mantle, but I'm a hockey fan.

Jordan 86 fleer rookies in PSA 8 have dropped to the 18,000 range. Jordan PSA 8 rookies were selling for 24-28k last month. Gretzky opc PSA 8 rookies are holding strong above 25k.
With there being so many less PSA 9 opc Gretzky rookies than Jordan PSA 9 rookies, I think PSA 9 Gretzky's may be more valueable than Jordan 9's in the future.
Just way too much 86 fleer out there.

Last edited by goldenage; 02-20-2021 at 05:19 AM.