View Single Post
Old 12-23-2019, 01:07 AM

When you look at the wax/gum relic cards above, and the gift bag / junk mail cards below, it is funny to think that these cards are quite literally all made of stuff that would be going in the garbage. You heard it hear first - apparently, I collect trash!

Earlier this year, I was commissioned to create a few customs of someone's kiddos using game used pieces, which they would sign later.

This actually ended up working into an even bigger deal that involved a bat barrel. The barrel, along with a few other cards was used to bring my favorite bat barrel back home I've had five other bat barrel cards of Canseco - in fact, all others were Topps licensed cards. While they were all ridiculously insane, I choose this one as my favorite, because of all the gold holographic foil - simply put, in hand, it made me smile more than the others. (I like shiny things, remember?)

After selling it, this card bounced all over the United States to finally end up back in my collection. That makes it so much more enjoyable for me, because of its story and travels! I would have never guessed I would have been able to have gotten a barrel back in my collection - so soon, at least. Thanks to some customs and multiple intense trading sections, it all worked out!

Earlier this year, I put together a jumbo custom of Andrew McCutchen featuring a rather "controversial" relic. The card featured one of his dreadlocks. I posted pictures before it was signed, and it was met with mixed reviews. Half the people loved it and half the people thought it was the creepiest thing ever. Well, it finally got signed - and Cutch loved it!

Here it is with its new ink!

Speaking of hair customs, I did one as a present for Holly, depicting our favorite "pickup" of 2019 This jumbo features hair from Beckett's first haircut. I did the artwork in such a way that it makes the hair look like it is in Christmas ornaments on our tree. Don't tell Holly though - she hasn't seen it yet, so SHHH!

With Christmas coming super fast, I guess I better wrap up this article and get busy doing what needs to be done. I still can't believe it is only a few days away, but I'll tell you what - with this new nostalgia kick I'm on, I've asked for a GX-71 Voltron, a G1 Transformers Devastator combiner set and some 1991 Donruss wax boxes. I'm fairly certain I'm getting them, too - after all, I did order them for myself and had Holly wrap them for me.

In spite of that, I have to say - I'm more excited for Christmas morning this year than I have been in years! I guess asking for toys for Christmas further cements my legacy as a big nerd ... as if loving baseball cards didn't already. Stay tuned to my social media for pictures of dinobots posing with various Jose Canseco cards

Merry Christmas everyone!