View Single Post
Old 08-23-2020, 02:42 PM
Kev1n @1les

I have been looking at that lately as I am considering pivoting off of my current collecting focus. For example, with my 54 set, I bought my PSA Aaron for $1650 in 2014. It is now approaching a $5,000 card. My Banks was purchased for right at $1000 and it is now well exceeding that amount. So, based upon what the stars were purchased for, there is some gain to be had.

Where I find the challenge is all of the fees and taxes. If I am paying 22% BP on the purchase and 10% commission on the sale then it is tough to clear anything inside of five years. If you add in 28% capital gains on collectibles, any gains are quickly wiped out and sent to Uncle Sam as well.

Therefore, I have to accept the fact that there is an "enjoyment tax" that I pay to collect and if it was about investment, I would just liquidate and put into my investment account with my financial advisor - which is a real possibility when you add the risk of theft and fire as the value of the asset grows and I don't want to have to go to a safe deposit box to visit them on occasion.

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set