View Single Post
Old 02-02-2024, 11:58 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksoncoupage View Post
I almost included the Morrissey, I did a blog about it on JWG. And its true, with Pro Set you never know. I feel like there's still a chance some odd stuff will turn as people involved with the company get older and pass.
I think you've nailed it. With the large amount of different runs of the same set, the chances of employee owned stuff coming out in the future and that so much of Pro Set remains unopened (or opened and never seen by people who have ripped a cheap box or few for fun and have no idea about all the variations and what matters; they are most known for being junk) there is probably a fair bit of interesting stuff we don't know about yet. Pro Set is really hard to predict, and every time I crack a box I find defects in it that I didn't think should be found in a box with certain other cards. I've long given up on tracking what pairs with what.

Incidentally, it's a shame Pro Set is so overproduced that it's 'junk' and doesn't get looked at by more people than just the variation geeks - they picked excellent photographs. Comparing 1989 Topps with its sideline photos of guys drinking water and looking the other direction versus the 1989 Pro Set photos is embarrassing for Topps. Score, Pro Set and then Upper Deck were really competing to put out good product. The junk football era has some of the best football cards if looked at as pure fun instead of for value.