View Single Post
Old 01-18-2019, 12:06 PM
Michael S.

Hey Pete! Great question. It's funny that you raise this question as a buddy and I were just having this conversation a couple of days ago.

Without piggybacking off of other people's ideas, all of which are valid and possible, and in all likelihood probable; let me offer another option.

Is it possible that the current mentality of the "shiny card collector" has seeped it's way into our universe? They don't collect sets. They don't buys packs of cards trying to fill binders. They don't trade commons, just because they need that one to finish off a team set. What do they do? They chase the lottery ticket. They are chasing some super refractor 1/1, written in gold ink. They buy a 5 card pack, for an outrageous amount of money, and don't care about 4/5 of the cards. They only want to know about "the hit".

Is it possible that in addition to every valid point that has been brought up thus far, that there is also an element of "lottery chasing" going on? How often do we see thread titled "What's the next Green Cobb?" or "What's the next Bond Bread?". I don't know, but I do believe, to a certain extent, that everyone wants the lottery ticket and they see this as a better/safer avenue than 6 good numbers.

1951 Bowman - Mantle
T206 Cobb - Bat Off
M116 Wagner - Blue
E98 - Wagner
1947 Bond Bread - Robinson
1923 Exhibit - Stengel
1936 R314 - Goudey Premium Wide Pens #44