Thread: Babe Ruth $$$
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2021, 09:49 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I suppose what I meant was I was surprised by the high price on the exhibit in light of the fact it is a duplicate pose and not a very flattering one… seems that population reports and valuations are finally catching up on more obscure issues.

Yeah the 48 Ruth still boggles my mind a little bit… The psychology of collecting it’s certainly interesting! I never would have guessed that Sanela ruths would be worth as much as they are now? And then we’ve got the tharp/Harrington like issues where are the prices escalated partially due to the old Red Sox pitching pose over 10 years old at that point. But I think now rarity has justified the values.

International issues are interesting as some have become popular and valuable whereas others have not? Also issues like fro joy… which are super scarce and relatively easily discerned from fake if you put in the time to learn?
I agree that playing day cards are the place to be. As someone who is trying to track down a 48 Leaf though I’ll try to justify and talk myself into the high prices I’m seeing by saying that the Leaf set is loved (and hated) by many and it’s a key and necessary card for that reason alone. But I think a big driver even with Ruth - and not just Leaf - fans is the fact that the portrait is really nice. It has a somber element and Ruth died in 48 so it’s sort of a tribute card.