View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Not sure we have nearly enough info from 67 Memories upon which to offer a meaningful opinion. Regardless, I do not agree with most of what has been written. Making a living selling cards is pretty simple if you have any sense of business, a solid knowledge of the type of stuff you are selling and most importantly enough capital to adequately fund the endeavor. I don't think we need another auction house but another dealer? Why not?

It has been no more difficult to make money selling cards in 2012 than it was in 2000. At the height of the market cards sold more quickly and everything was consistently selling for more money, in general, but dealers were paying more. This is not just the card market but any market that is in a boom. So things have slowed down a bit, in some regards, in 2012. You have to adjust your buy price. The demand for cards is still there and very healthy. Some stuff has been more impacted by the economy than others. I think it really depends on the era, sport and grade of the material you are selling that will determine if one can make a buck.

One thing which has changed in recent times is gaining access to private collections. If you are not a large auction house, getting those collections has become difficult absent a large internet presence. There is still plenty of money in buying large lots out of those auction houses and breaking them.