View Single Post
Old 12-10-2003, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Default Beckett is the most strict and reputable!

Posted By: (www.bestbaseballcards.com)

BECKETT VS PSA

Let's take, what in my mind is a very potential card, the 1987 Fleer BARRY BOND'S Hottest. This is one of Barry's MOST rare rookies, next to possibly the 1986 Tiffany. It is definetely more rare in high grade.

GRADED BY BGS: 273
GRADED BY PSA: 301
GRADED BY GAI: 0

GRADED 9 OR HIGHER BY BGS: 83
GRADED 9 OR HIGHER BY PSA: 137

PSA 10 SOLD ON EBAY THIS MONTH: $700
BGS 9.5 SOLD ON EBAY THIS MONTH $1500

This shows several things:
1. BGS HAS GAINED MARKET SHARE ON PSA. PROBABLY HALF OF THE PSA GRADED CARDS WERE GRADED PRIOR TO BECKETT GRADING SERVICE EVEN EXISTED!!!

2. BGS 9.5 SELLS FOR MORE THAN DOUBLE THE PSA 10.

3. BGS IS MORE STRICT.

I am sure you will find similar pricing results with most modern era cards...another I just know off the top of my head is the bgs 9/psa 9 price comparsion of the 1982 TRaded ripken $300/$170

You can't argue statistics, and that is MY SPECIALTY. Again, most premium gradeable vintage cards have already been graded, so psa/sgc will REMAIN the most popular there, but that does not mean "NEW BUSINESS" to the grading companies....watch the trend...

I do believe you will see some GAI vintage come out for a couple reasons:

1. They will submit to GAI because they would get a better grade than if they sent to beckett...

2. BIAS'ed Relationships exist between the dealers and GAI.

3. Beckett costs more.

4. Think about it...for the most part, vintage cards have already been graded. If you see an influx of newly graded GAI cards, then cases are being opened and resubmitted for one of a couple reasons.... ensure previous graded cards have not been tampered with/authentic, or higher grades. Where did all of these newly graded GAI vintage magically appear from?
Doesn't it seem odd that there recently has been an increase in vintage graded cards on the market?

THE NEW GENERATION COLLECTOR,
MIKE MCSWEENEY
http://www.bestbaseballcards.com