View Single Post
Old 12-10-2003, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Default Beckett is the most strict and reputable!

Posted By: MW

<< And those that spend big bucks without buying the slab are fools, and deserve to get trimmed or counterfeit cards. >>

I absolutely disagree with this statement. No one deserves to get trimmed or counterfeit cards, graded or ungraded. Moreover, speaking from personal experience, I feel much more comfortable spending "big bucks" on raw cards if I can examine them in person compared to buying a similar card in a certain company's slab on eBay. And I'm sure there are many vintage collectors who feel the same way. When it comes to the proper application of knowledge on vintage issues, several major grading companies come up far short of what should be considered a minimum hobby standard.

<< At least with SGC and GAI there is no OVERT relationships to auction houses (yet), retaillers and other methods of moving product. While I'm not accusing anyone of anything (someone else can do that), it certainly is disconcerting a little (to me). >>

Well said. I am in complete agreement as I see this as one of the hobby's biggest problems. The larger the conflict of interest between 3rd party grading companies and major auction houses, the greater the disservice to honest collectors.