Thread: Carlton World
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2021, 01:29 AM

Default 1893 Yale Calander

Here would likely be my last significant pickup of 2021…although you never know…in 35 years collecting I don’t recall ever seeing one of these…That’s not surprising though….considering how fragile it is…how many could survive at 17 7/8” x 13 ¾”, on cardstock. It even retains its original hang string…Subjectively it’s probably the best sports calendar I’ve ever seen…The way it’s laid out has me…with the angled team photos perched on all four corners…and iconic athletic structures…that’s Yale Field top left…the Yale boat house top right…At bottom center is the Old Yale Gymnasium that had just opened in 1893…which preceded the current Paine Whitney Gymnasium…Then there’s Yale’s bulldog mascot Handsome Dan bottom right…and a football player resembling Amos Alonzo Stag leaning on the iconic Yale Fence…presumably pictured for nostalgia’s sake since the beloved Yale Fence was removed in 1888…And as a special bonus I think that's the great Frank Hinkey second row down on the far right of the football team photo...looking meaner than everyone else...

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 12-23-2021 at 01:38 AM.