View Single Post
Old 08-19-2021, 08:03 PM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

One of the premier catchers in the game when I was growing up. I started watching baseball in '68 and was rooting for the Tigers in the series against the Cards. Saw Lolich jump into his arms at the end of Game 7.

Nice article:

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/m...LdT6uGmp3SwYEE

Some quotes from the article...

Willie Horton:

"Bill Freehan was one of the greatest men I’ve ever played alongside, or had the pleasure of knowing," Horton said in a statement released by the Tigers. "I’ll always cherish our childhood memories together and our journey from sandlot baseball to Tiger Stadium. His entire major league career was committed to the Tigers and the city of Detroit, and he was one of the most respected and talented members of the organization through some difficult yet important times throughout the 1960s and '70s. You’d be hard-pressed to find another athlete that had a bigger impact on his community over the course of his life than Bill, who will be sorely missed in Detroit and beyond."

Mickey Lolich:

"He often kidded me about the famous picture of me jumping into his arms when we won the ’68 World Series," Lolich said Thursday. "He said, ‘it’s the most famous picture taken of me and you have my number up with your arms. Nobody knows who I am.’"

Rest in peace to one of the greats...