View Single Post
Old 08-23-2002, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Default Grade Tech- corner magnification question

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings)

I too am interested in the cost efficeincy of their enterprise, but back to my original question. Pete, I do trust my eyes first and foremost as to corners, graders be damned. But if I am looking at a scan, I might use more information from magnification to judge the corners. Believe it or not, I believe I am very familiar with what a NM corner would look like under 12x magnification, as I try and focus my collection on nm grades in pre-war, and nm-mt thereafter, so that's the vast bulk of what I see. Even after I buy cards I look at them under the loupe and assign each corner a grade, even if slabbed (although its tougher to examine slabbed cards). If I saw a magnification on a scan, wouldn't or at least couldn't that be helpful? I also have a feel for how SGC and PSA evaluate corners, and what a Nm or nm-mt corner usually looks like in their holders. If I saw a scan of magnified corners in my accustomed 12x power, is there a downside to my using that information?
Bruce, I recognize that the scans can be doctored, enhanced or otherwise image altered/ size increased, but that limitation exists anyway-- you can only trust a scan so far. Still, all things considered, is the info of such limited value that it is essentially a gimmick, or is there a place for this?