View Single Post
Old 08-14-2020, 09:52 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
I had quite a collection of Topps Test sets in the late 60's/early 70's. I wrote articles about them in The Trader Speaks.

Pertaining to the Dice cards specifically, there was a collector in Brooklyn named Stan Martin. Not his real last name. I recall visiting his home and one of the things he had were about 11 or 12 Dice Cards. I only had about 3 or 4 at the time. He told me he bought them at retail.

Evidently there were a few small stores in Brooklyn Topps would use for their test issues. Stan knew where where at least one of them was. I also recall him telling me he sold a Camiio Pascual card for big bucks to a guy who only collected Latin American players. Never found out who that was.

For those of you in the New York area, Stan was, I believe, the first "newsman" when WFAN started the all sports radio format in NYC. He was the one delivering the sports news updates, scores etc. His "stage name" was Stan Martin.

Nice guy with a booming voice as you would expect
I probably have your articles scanned at this point Fred, will have to check.

I recall Stan Martin alright and seem to recall him on another station at some point. Semi related - Dunno if you saw but Cousin Brucie is returning the WABC-AM.

Some on air talents do use stage names and I won't out him here but I know a of current one on WCBS 880 who is in a long time killer punk rock/indie band and is quite the singer, guitar player and songwriter. And I even remember Suzyn Waldman singing at the 1988 Tom Seaver Day at Shea when they retired his uniform. I guess at the heart of it they are all entertainers.

Last edited by toppcat; 08-15-2020 at 08:00 AM.