View Single Post
Old 06-26-2011, 09:44 AM

I have two that fit in here. When I started collecting in the early 80's I saw a picture of a '56 Ernie Banks card and that became my goal. I was all smiles when I bought that one. Almost 30 years after that I had a near fatal accident at work and eventually reached a modest settlement. The first thing I bought was a Banks rookie and the second thing was a Banks jersey.

I met Ernie Banks a few months after buying the card and told him what had happened to me. He had a shocked look on his face and asked if I was OK ( I am). I told him about my purchases and showed him the jersey I was wearing and he asked me if I'd take it off so he could sign it. The event organizers tried to jump in and say he couldn't sign it and I'll never forget what he said and did. He got mad at them and was almost yelling as he said "You all back off! This man was hurt and almost died! I want to sign his jersey and I'm GOING TO SIGN HIS JERSEY! You all need to learn what life is about." I was awestruck. I called my dad after that and we both had tears over what Ernie did. He is a real class act.

Here I am all wide eyed like a little kid at the event
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ernie.jpg (59.8 KB, 533 views)