Thread: T201 Collecting
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2022, 11:35 AM
lu.c@s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Rob, congratulations on completing the set!

T201 is without a doubt the easiest T-card set to complete which makes it a fun set to collect. There's probably a near complete set available (individually on ebay) at all times.

How many other sets can be completed from that era so easily and relatively inexpensively? There has been an increase in price but that seems to be across the board.

Better get a set before everybody figures it out.
I'm working on this set for this reason. It's the only dead-ball era set I felt I had a reasonable shot at completing. I currently have 33/50, including all of the HOFers, so that goal is within reach even if the price of the commons has ticked up a notch along with everything else.

I understand why it's not as sought after as other sets from the era. The size and structure of the cards are unusual, the player renderings can be crude (bodies and limbs are sometimes positioned or bent in unnatural ways to make the folding concept work, and the images don't always look like the player represented), the Cobb is a back panel, and there's no Wagner or Young.

On the other hand, the artwork is quite beautiful when it works (particularly the Pointillist-style backgrounds of stadiums, cityscapes, suburbs, pastoral countrysides, and skies at dusk), the set includes five of the first eight players elected to the Hall of Fame, the cards feature statistics (including Cobb and Lajoie's respective batting averages from the year of the infamous Chalmers Award), and the folding concept is fun. And when I show my collection to non- or casual collectors, the T201s tend to stand out.

In conclusion, I think they're great, but don't start chasing them quite yet. I'll be happy if they continue to be relatively overlooked until I can complete my set.

Last edited by Mutton Chop Yaz; 05-18-2022 at 07:35 AM.