View Single Post
Old 10-23-2006, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Default 2007 SCD Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards

Posted By: PaulPaulPaul

I thought it was funny that the M131 Cy Young is listed at less than the E94 Cy Young. It's also strange that most N173 Hall of Famers are listed as only slightly more valuable than N172s. I think what has happened is that the less common sets were not updated as accurately because there are fewer sales to report.

In some instances, the discrepencies are pretty funny. The W600 Burkett with St. Louis is listed at 30K because that's what one sold for recently. The W600 Burkett with Boston is listed at about $3K. The Boston variation has not even been confirmed to exist, so there were no sales to rely on in preparing the Catalog. As a result, the default price for Hall of Famers in the set was used.

An example that's a little more frustrating to me is the very rare M101-5 Bobby Wallace. It's listed at $5K, presumably because of a sale in the last year. But the exact same card with the Standard Biscuit back (which I own) is listed at $600. If anything, the Standard Biscuit card is rarer than the blank back, but there have been no recent sales so the price was not updated.

Having said all that, I'm not bashing the book at all. Overall, I agree that Bob did a fantastic job updating prices and including new discoveries. In my opinion, it's that second thing (including new discoveries), that's most important.