View Single Post
Old 01-10-2002, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Default Modern Card Question: Short card

Posted By: MW

Marc,

I have owned 7 Topps Presentation Sets from the 1960s and several large groups of vending cards from 1963; here is what I can tell you:

Vending cards are generally a bit smaller than cards from cellos, rack packs or wax. On average, there is approximately a 1/32" difference (or less) in size. Quite often, Vending cards can be identified by a slight beveling that exists on one of the edges and a clean, straight cut.

Presentation cards also tend to have a slight beveling effect on one or more edges. Based on an examination of Presentation cards from two 1963 Topps Sets, I would say that most, but not all cards from this series exhibit a slight beveling on two adjacent edges. As far as size, Presentation cards vary quite a bit. 1/16" is not unusual. Another clue to look for is the whiteness on the reverse side. Generally, but not always, Presentation cards come stored in the original 100 count boxes (per series) and have a very fresh appearance.

Interestingly, the cross-sections of some Presentation cards mimic those of cards that have been trimmed, so periodically, there is a gray area of uncertainty. My advice is this -- where this is one Presentation card, there are usually more. If a dealer or customer is selling an undersized card, claims it is from a Presentation set, and has no other similar cards, there's a reasonable chance the card is trimmed.

Pictured below are four different Topps Presentation cards. Note the distinct differences in size.