View Single Post
Old 12-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Default Skydash experience

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Guys and Joann,
Since I'm at home recovering from a nasty cold/flu/virus or whatever knocked me on my butt over the weekend. I thought I might share the story of the "Skydash Collection".....

As most of you know, skydash first appeared here on Board 54 about 4-5 months ago. At the time most of us thought he was the typical "Attic find person" who was as the ref said last week, "giving us the business". Even though I felt this might be the case I emailed the poster and offered to help and much to my surprise he accepted and extended me an invitation to view the collection. In the meantime, he began posting a few of the cards and Tin tops on the board, and then I knew I had to make the trip....

So, one early (6:00) Friday morning I set out for a Bank some 3 and half hours away to view and catalog this mysterious collection. Upon arriving and meeting SKYDASH we entered the banks vault and carried 2 huge safety deposit boxes loaded with cards to the nearest open office. Once the boxes were opened and the top loaders poured out I began inspecting the endless stream of Tobacco cards and Caramels that flowed over the table. As I was viewing the numerous Cobb's, Wagner's, Matty's and other Hofers, the owner handed we the "Crown Jewels" of the collection.... the Tin Tops of Joe Jackson and Jim Thorpe. While I was completely awestruck at the site of there condition, I pulled out my loop and began to inspect these beauties for the usual nicks and paper pulls that plague these issues, but not these...
While I was still calculating what these cards might sell for in my head, he handed me the next pristine stack of Tin Tops which included all the key Hofers, including Wagner and Cobb who was as usual on top staring at me with those haunting eyes... This endless stream of Tin tops continued for the next 2 hours until all had been cataloged and looped. After a quick Chick- fil-a lunch break we started in on the Caramels...E90's, E92's, E93's, E98's, etc, the tobacco cards, T205's,06's, 10's... and after 6 hours we were done... As I left for home I thought about the amazing cards I had just held in my hands and the new friends that I had made, and I felt very grateful for the board and its reach.
Sorry for the rambling commentary, as I'm only about 30% today. But, then again, even on my best day I don't type with the clarity of many of our board's fine writers.

Be well Brian

PS I may not win any of these Tin tops in the auction, but I do have a full set of original pictures for my collection... smiley...