View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013, 12:15 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
All kidding aside, I have never seen one quite like the one shown on this site. That is why it is making me crazy. The m's seem all wrong but the n look great. It is something that I have not seen.
Hey Shelly. Thank you for putting so much energy in to these, especially the Mantle. I've feel very comfortable with all three of them, personally, but I can tell you that the sharpie on the Mantle wasn't great. The connection between the M and the A in Mantle it seems the pen died before picking back up. In Ron K's book, my take is my Mantle is most like is 4th Exemplar.

As for Joe D., if I had a problem with it, it would be with the D. Frankly though, I see a mixture of Exemplars 2 and 3 from Ron K's book. And for Ted, I know its not secretarial and, to my eye, looks like his 3rd example.

Additionally, having seen a lot of signed Perez Steele postcards over the years, including having seen many signed in front of me, many players seem to sign these in the same place on the postcard. All three of my post cards are signed in the same manner I've seen slabbed copies signed. Now this could just mean the forger paid attention to that detail, but it also indicates whoever signed it wasn't trying to hide the signature in a dark part of the artwork.

For everyone, if you were me, what would you do? Who should I show these to so I can get the closest thing to a rock solid understanding if they are real or not. The thought of having a forgery in my collection is unappealing to say the least...

Thanks again everyone for your efforts and opinions! M@tt
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.