View Single Post
Old 04-13-2021, 11:47 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Yes two of the fakes are very collectible. The B/W test issue is a known fake and most Ripken collectors own one.

Then there is the one known as the "Mystery Card". It is semi rare with around 30 known copies. PSA has graded 6 of them that I know of and I have owned 3 of them. Some think it is a test/promo type card. I personally think it is 100% counterfeit and it really isn't debatable to me.

The B/W test issue sells from $2-$10 each and the Mystery Cards have sold from $50 to $150 and $400 to $900 each for a graded example.
That mystery card is one very strange card. It has many elements that say FAKE! and yet it also has some that are totally not typical of either fakes or real cards.

Enough weirdness it could be discussed for a long time, (Or 10 seconds)

I'm probably who Ben is saying thinks it's not necessarily fake. I'm on the fence. Fakers of that era typically made the same mistakes and made them over and over. That card is a collection of very atypical mistakes, especially a couple that required more work than just copying a card. (effort that Fleer didn't even put into their cards. )