Thread: Getting old
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2021, 10:26 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
As I start to head towards the sixth decade of life, I certainly don't feel "old," whatever that means. Yes, the knees are achy and the back is stiff, and all that usual stuff. But what really concerns me is what I see almost inevitably happened among people as they age. . . . they just to seem to slowly get stuck in a rut over time and stop trying new things. It's why a certain unnamed political party and TV network always seems to be focused on the "good old days" when everything was so so much better than today. Everything is shit and boy is that sad. It's like people get to a certain age and think "ok, now I need to stop listening to new music . . . stop watching new movies. . . stop taking adventures." I find it all very depressing. When someone my age tells me there is no good music anymore and it is all crap and how all they listen is The Who and The Rolling Stones, I just shake my head. There is ton and tons of great music today. But you stopped looking for it. I have kids in my 20s and they introduce me to music and podcasts and new celebrity types. Yeah, some of it stinks. But some of it is super smart and better than what I was listening to at their age. But most of my friends seems to be already of the mind that everything cool stopped happening years ago. My wife and I have many friends who are just stunned that we still go to ROCK CONCERTS. Same people who say oh baseball is terrible today, football isn't what it used to be, basketball horrible, and everything else just sucks too.

Obviously people shook their heads in dismay as to the younger generation and everything they stood for in the 20s, 30s, 40s, etc., etc. But why?

I spoke to a much older once guy and he said to me "as you get older you just get to a point where you feel like you've done everything you want to do." Shit I hope that's not where I end up.

I just turned 50, and I agree with everything you just said. I doubt I've done 10% of what I eventually want to do. I'm grateful I have a daughter in her 20's who introduces me to new stuff all the time, even if I don't get it at first.

She still can't get me to play video games with her though...... mostly because they frustrate me because I'm just not any good at them.

My own parents still go on adventures. They hike, kayak, bike, travel, plant elaborate gardens in their yard, go to concerts and plays during times that allow it, and keep active all the time.

We disagree on some things, but it's generally respectful.......and even when my dad and I get heated on certain things, we finish it off with a beer and a handshake.

I hope I'm smart enough to continue that philosophy as I get older.