Thread: Getting old
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2021, 07:24 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Great comments so far and a fun read!

I'm not sure I would define it as a rut as much as 'set in your ways'. And either way I wouldn't necessary give it a negative connotation. If you've always been constantly on the lookout for new things, then is that your "rut"? Parents who "still go on adventures", implying it is something they've done previously (and probably frequently), sounds like they are in a "rut" as well. Am I in a rut because I've always, and continue to, question more than I answer? Probably.

I think the real problematic rut is not questioning everything on what you think or believe. It doesn't mean you automatically give up what you believe, but at least critically question it. And on a regular basis. Because memory is a funny thing. We reminisce about the good old days because well, remembering the good makes us feel good. We look forward for the future, but only as it pertains to something positive. Which helps explain the popularity of the 'good old days' network as well as the 'what if / prognostication' network. Sans trauma, that's what we do.

New music does suck, but so does old music. It's just that we don't (subconsciously) remember all the crappy stuff we listened to. And who chooses to re-listen to the crap when there was good stuff to re-listen to? And old good stuff to still be discovered. Isn't that 'new' music to the discoverer?

That said:
  • I love listening and being turned on to new music. Though auto-tuning will always suck.
  • The home run derby baseball is for the instant gratification crowd. But there are few plays in baseball more exiting than the triple. Especially with men on base.
  • Regarding instant gratification, the microwave still takes too long.
  • I would watch Teen Titans Go! whether or not my grandson is there.
  • As a small L libertarian, I don't get the negative connotation of 'get off my lawn' when used by other libertarians.
  • As we get older, it's not as much a rut as 'I don't give an F what others think', evidenced by wearing black socks with sandals.
  • Not everything is shit. But 90% of it is. Or at least it's crud. Would that include 90% of change as well?