Thread: Vin Scully
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
I don't think the OP was asking if paying $250 to meet and get a ball signed by Scully was worth it. He was asking if FFA winners retain their value over time.

While Scully is a great announcer, perhaps the best ever, the answer to his question is probably no. If you pay $250 for a signed ball of Scully, will you be able to sell it for the same in the near future? I doubt it.

Demand - The market for announcers, no matter how great, is much much smaller than players. There certainly will be some, like the examples Mike stated, who will collect these guys.

Supply - The guy has been announcing for over 50 yrs and was given the FFA in 1982. That means that most of the people are currently collecting HOFers autographs have had 30yrs to add him to their collection.

None of this has anything to do with whether $250 is worth spending to meet Vin, shake his hand, ask a question, and have him sign a ball. That is a personal decision.
Good point, but can you name anyone whose in-person signing price matches what you could sell for in the near future? How much is Jeter in person versus finding a legit one on ebay? AROD? Mays? Aaron? Even Johnny Bench or Boog Powell.

Also, check the prices that Brickhouse, Carey, and Jack Buck go for nowadays. After their deaths, their values went WAY up.

Ken

PS: Heck, I just checked out what they've sold for recently on ebay, and I have changed my mind: $250 to meet him and get your ball signed is a deal! Decent-looking ones range from $200-$350, and I'm not even looking at the authenticity.