Thread: Goldin Vault
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2021, 12:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Hmmm....at that value I would initially think that no sales tax would have had a lot to do with those vault submissions. But if these were submissions they received at the National, the owners would have already paid any sales tax due, so that can't be it. Would guess these submissions are mostly by flippers or others looking/expecting to sell in the near future, and not by more traditional collectors then who would more likely want actual/closer possesion of their valuable cards. Assuming they plan to use PWCC then for eventual sale, and likely made the submissions at the National for ease and convenience since they were going to be there, and then not also incur the cost/risk of having to mail their items to PWCC in Oregon. And some submissions could have been from acquisitions made at the National for real convenience.

Personally, unless I was using it to get around sales taxes, or planning all along to consign items to PWCC for sale at some point, I just don't see the attraction or advantage of using PWCC's "vault". Is there something I'm missing and not seeing/realizing that would be attracting such sizable submissions to PWCC then if it was not to save on sales taxes, especially in light of some of the questions and potential issues that have been discussed in this thread?
I think it's probably mostly "flippers." Someone on BO mentioned they will also loan money against your vault holdings, so maybe "investors" are looking to work that angle too and leverage more purchases, I don't know.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.