Thread: Legit Koufax?
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 11:45 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbejasAsesinas View Post
Steve, I'll provide a couple of explanations about why I asked.

1) I'm new to the hobby and I'm still feeling out what other collectors think about certain authenticators. The fact that Steiner has no identifying marks on their holograms (or at least this one), concerns me because....
2) This one was shipped with the wrong COA card. I received the 53 WS Game 1 wind-up card, where the photo is 65 WS Game 5 first pitch.

So I'd say the reason I ask is because I'm a newb and the COA mixup.

Thanks, and my apologies if I offended anyone by my questioning.

Cheers,
Dan
Dan

No offense and I didn't mean to come off as peevish. I can understand the caution... especially if you are new to the hobby and the cards were switched up.

In my experience, many of the hologramed items on the secondary market have missing COA cards. It just happens because the cards are often not stored with the item. Just last week I sold a JSA certed ball and it took me quite a while to find the matching card to send to the buyer. If I was a little less diligent, I would have said the hell with it and shipped it off without the card.

Even further, I have found that holograms sometimes come off game used balls because they do not adhere well to a dirty surface.

Anyway, if a Steiner (or Tristar or Schwartz Sports or Mounted Memories) hologram appears intact, I'm not going to let a little glitch* worry me. The hobby has enough issues. The day I have to start worrying about the authenticity of Steiner material, it's means the fat lady is singing.

(*Now if we saw material that was grossly bad with a Steiner hologram, that is not something I would casually disregard. I'd start thinking counterfeiting was a possibility. To my knowledge, this has not yet happened.)