View Single Post
Old 02-03-2023, 05:32 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Todd/nolemmings already addressed yours and Steve's question/comment about the idea of cutting off the brand on that Dots Miller silk, as did I in my last post. Leaving the only real true question left, why did they bother trimming the silk in the first place just to attach a copy in their book/journal? No idea, and makes absolutely no sense why someone would have had to do that. Especially since they didn't have to trim the actress silk right next to it to also get it in the book/journal.

Now as for why they didn't make similar entries and include all the same details and distribution info for these silks as they did for all their other card and advertising releases, could it possibly have anything to do with the unique nature of the silks themselves and how they were not cards? Unlike cards, these silks obviously involved multiple manufacturers being involved, as I'm guessing the ATC didn't luckily for them find some manufacturer that just so happened to print cards, like would have been used for the backings on these baseball and actress silks, AND could also create/weave satin material and additionally be able to imprint images of ballplayers and actresses on it, all out of one single location.

Also, I don't really study or have a lot of knowledge regarding any other silk tobacco issues, aside from the S74 and S72 silks. But to my knowledge, I'm unaware of any other sport or non-sport silk related issues that ever came with a paper advertising backing attached to them, like with the S74-1 and S72-3 baseball player and actress silks did. And if I'm right and there weren't any others, that would truly make those ad-backed silks unique in the world of tobacco advertising. And again, maybe a possible reason why they didn't keep track of them in a similar manner as they did with the other issues recorded in the ATC books/journals. Pure speculation on my part though, but maybe something to at least think about.
Thanks for the clarification on the different silks Bob. I don't know if you've looked at the pages from the journal but the majority of them are instructions on what to insert in each product from 1909-1912 they even listed the ones that didn't have any inserts.

img403.jpg

I don't have an answer either as to why they trimmed the S74 but for the purpose it served I don't think it would have mattered maybe they had a sheet or whatever the uncut silks are called and that's the way the person cut it I'm sure there were probably more than one of these journals that were used for a reference in what to pack in the products.