View Single Post
Old 09-29-2021, 04:38 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I know this one has been discussed before, so forgive me. We all know that the vast majority of 60's era Topps checklists had multiple variations, as some (most) appeared across two series' printings and they occupied multiple positions on the print sheets themselves. This led to slight (but distinct) differences in the cropping of pictures and whatnot.

Well, I finally made an animated gif of the 1969 Topps #412 Mickey Mantle Checklist to highlight the differences in that particular card...

To distinguish the two, I refer to them as 'high chin' and 'low chin.' (I guess I should've went with something more clever like 'hi-hat,' but as usual, the drummer gets ignored.) On normal size cards, the most obvious tell is the sky above the Mick. One looks huge, while the other is more of a sliver. Besides the chin and sky, there are other strange things afoot, too. The yellow rectangles are significantly different across the two printings, as the 'high chin' has much larger and fuller boxes, with only a hair's width separating them. And the 'low chin' version has the "SPECIAL!" area awkwardly tilted, as the rest of the line of text is pretty level.

If I had to guess, I would assume that there is probably at least one more (real, cropping oriented) version of this card.

Edited to add: Whoops! Forgot to mention that I know these are the Boswell (on back) variations, but I was doing this as a front-only way to distinguish the versions. The 'low chin' versions (big sky) are the ones with the fully intact Boswell name on back.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 09-29-2021 at 08:25 PM.