View Single Post
Old 07-10-2021, 11:03 AM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by larietrope View Post
...Should I stick with PSA or other companies ok...
If short-term resale value is your primary concern, it's currently PSA and then everyone else. That's not necessarily good nor bad. It's just the current state of the hobby.

If you're looking to hold long-term, the answer becomes a bit more complicated. For example, there are many who would say, "PSA is not ok" due to BODA before/after photos, etc.

Providing a relative stranger with advice on how to spend $5,000 is something I'm not willing to do. So, all I can tell you is how I approach sports card purchases.

Personally, I have cards in PSA, SGC, and Beckett holders and continue to pick up material graded by all three companies. HOWEVER, I don't blindly trust the TPG. I tend to pick up cards I'd also be comfortable buying raw, such as T206 and 50s to 90s mainstream cards. So, the TPG "grade" is just one of many factors.

I've taken some time time learning about the sets I collect, which helps me more than the opinion of some random grader at PSA/SGC/Beckett. Don't get me wrong, I see the value in third party grading, especially when I can't inspect the card in-hand. Ultimately, though, I trust my eyes and experience more than I'd trust a TPG flip.

Hope this helped a little...

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra