View Single Post
Old 05-24-2008, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Default Thursday nite Trivia

Posted By: Gil

I can not say that I know the distance between where a pitcher was allowed to release the ball and home plate at most times in the nineteenth century. The geometries and physical locations are identifiable. But the pitcher's box size and the amount of running and other pre-release pitching theatrics which were tolerated seems to vary, primarilly in the early years.

I have not been able to identify my resource from which I thought the actual distance was 40' prior to it being lengthened. But I did discover one which agreed with your statement of 45'. Although the pitcher's box dimensions appear to have changed frequently, my impression is that the changes were solely to the back of the box. And once home plate was moved into fair territory, it stayed there.

So, could I be mistaken? Yes, as always. I will be on the lookout on this subject, and if I find an indication of 40' again, I will check carefully what the caveats are.

Thank you.
Gil

PS:

Daniel Adams, the first chairman of the Committee on Rules and Regulations, was the man who claimed to have set the original 45 foot distance. John Montgomery Ward, who pitched in the major leagues 1878-84, supposedly took credit in later years for the innovation of the pitchers' mound.