View Single Post
Old 06-09-2021, 10:04 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailes2872 View Post

...Does anyone else suffer from the same challenge? For people who have been collecting much longer than my 8 years, how have you been able to continue...
I've been slowly building a T206 set and face the same challenge. I used to pick up well-centered VG 3 PSA/SGC commons for $40 each. A 4 would cost me $60. These days, that budget would get me an off-centered 2.

The "one that got away" (it continues to haunt me) was a Walter Johnson roughly 6 or 7 years ago. I believe it was a PSA 3. A fellow board member was upgrading theirs and offered their undercopy to me via PM. I passed, primarily because I was chasing quantity instead of quality. Getting that WaJo now would cost me 5-10 times as much as it would have back then.

Fortunately, I've learned (albeit slowly) along the way. I focus on HOFers and players like Dahlen & Chase.

With regard to buying over time, I actually take a dollar-cost-averaging style approach to buying sports cards. Actually, it's more of a monthly budget. Point being, I've managed to "stay the course" for quite a while. How have I been able to continue? Buy what I like and like what I buy.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 06-09-2021 at 10:06 PM.