View Single Post
Old 06-11-2021, 04:01 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailes2872 View Post
My post war set run is full except for the 49/51 Bowman and 52 Topps

I have no problem with the growth, my current collection is enjoying appreciation.....
This is my thought process:

People need to enjoy life and have hobbies. Some peoples' hobbies cost a lot, like traveling, going to lots of music and sporting and other events, and so on. So I figure, if someones' hobby is financially break-even, that's a success. If it's a money maker, that's terrific.

I look at what I have paid for my collection over the years, estimate what I could sell it for today, and that paper profit is the margin I then have to put more money into it.

So, suppose you, over the years, paid $40,000 for your collection that's worth about $100,000 today. You're $60k ahead. Assuming your income and overall finances support it, you've got a $60k budget to work with. If you buy a card for $5,000 that might only resell for $4k, well, now your margin (budget) is down a thousand to $59k. And so on.

The point is, if you can always stay above water - always have your collection be worth more than it cost - then you're ahead and should have no regrets. It sounds like you are way ahead right now, so I would say, buy a few high end quality cards, and have no worries. Down the road, they'll probably be worth more than you paid and that will just increase your margin to justify further acquisitions.

It's all in the way you look at things. If at the end of the proverbial day your collection overall is worth more than what you've put into it, plus you've had fun along the way, that's success pure and simple with no worries.