View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyseymour View Post
I should have posted this over here instead of troubling the E95 thread, but in my mind the most underrated HOFer is undoubtedly Nap Lajoie. He sells for far less than Cobb, Matthewson, et al, but he statistics show that his performance is roughly in line with theirs.

WAR rating:
Cy Young 162
Cobb 145
Johnson 145
Wagner 126
Lajoie 102
Matthewson 91

Meanwhile, Lajoie cards sell for range closer to that of a run-of-the-mill HOFer, in spite of the fact that he was (rightfully) considered a superstar in the day. Here's how his WAR rating compares to other HOFers, including fellow 2b man, Jhonny Evers.

Lajoie 102
Wheat 57
Keeler 50
Flick 50
Evers 44
Joss 43

As you can see, Lajoie is twice as good as those guys, but his cards sell for more or less the same price.

I also think the HOF'ers with only one pose are underrated. Not sure if I can really say the Plank is underrated considering its price, but it is at least underrated compared to the Wagner. Unfortunately, he will always be forced to play second fiddle to Wags. People tend to forget just how good Plank was in his own right.
Honestly, it depends on the Lajoie Pose. Recently, his prices for graded cards such as 3's and 4's have skyrocketed. For some reason though, you can almost always find his raw card, in like 2-3 condition from $120-$175. Somewhere in that price range.

I also feel like Keeler is underrated. I mean his card, in a 3 or a 4 sells for a pretty penny, no doubt. But I mean, the man hit over .300 for 16 seasons, lifetime .341 batting average. I find that pretty impressive.
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.