View Single Post
Old 01-09-2005, 11:40 PM
Administrator

Default Plancich....Two Requests

Posted By: J Levine

I take exception to a few comments...first off, I personally know several board members who collect both cards and memorabilia and are extremely knowledgeable in both. Second, card collecting, especially vintage, and even more especially, pre-war vintage, does require an extensive amount of knowledge. Yes, some of the people here on the board make it look easy, but take it from me (truly, not an expert), that they have done research, written articles, examined evidence, and generally put the time and money into what they collect card wise. I have met many "new" vintage card collectors at shows who end up giving up the hobby because they don't want to do the research and educate themselves about the cards. As we all know, people make mistakes, including authenticators and grading services. The best way I found to insulate myself from getting hurt is doing the homework myself. That way, I don't blame anyone but myself if I make a mistake or get ripped off.

-Joshua

OT: Yes, many of you know me as a 1st grade teacher, but I was a Physics major in college until my senior year.