View Single Post
Old 01-28-2024, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Because as far as I can tell, he was never a boxer and never had a boxing career.

Muldoon was a physical trainer for John L. Sullivan's camp for the Kilrain fight. He was the head of the NY Athletic Commission for awhile, regulating boxing. He was connected to almost everyone from John Morrissey to Gene Tunney in some way as a trainer, regulator, or bar owner in New York in a time when the sports were closely related. He made the bark knuckle hall of fame because it is established in his old barn Sullivan used as a training camp for the Kilrain bout. He made the IBHOf as a non-participant for his training of Sullivan.

However, Boxrec does not have any record of him fighting in a boxing match. I cannot identify Muldoon ever really boxing, beyond a handful of staged exhibitions to show off someone else's skill. He is depicted as a wrestler on his card, and this was his primary source of fame. Just as he is typically grouped with wrestlers in N28, N29, N162, etc. for these reasons I followed this logic. I noted him in post 5 when I got to the 300's series of green bordered cabinets as relevant to this board.
You are correct. I was mistaken. He was a boxing trainer following his wrestling career.