Thread: Clayton Kershaw
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2016, 07:04 PM
Bill Gregory

Looking at that formula, the very fact that they consider wins and losses by a pitcher tells me everything I need to know.

The formula is crap.

And "a 12 point bonus is given for leading your team to the division championship."

Really? LOL

The four pitchers ahead of Kershaw are on teams that lead their division. They have that 12 pt bonus because ESPN has somehow predicted that they will win their divisions, even though there are 110 + games left to be played in the season. That's the difference in the point total right now. Kershaw's Dodgers don't lead the division (Bumgarner's Giants do), so no bonus for him.

"Hey, Clayton, sorry that you had an historic season in the annals of baseball, but no Cy Young for you because you played on a crap team that blew five of your wins, and didn't win the division."

Then there's this little gem:

"based on past results"

30 years ago, hell, 10 years ago, it was wins and losses, ERA and strikeouts. We know how to better evaluate a pitcher's performance today. Through the use of modern metrics, statisticians have demonstrated a much better understanding of how a pitcher does their job, and what they can control. Wins and losses? Really?

This "predictor" is one of the most ill conceived things I've ever seen. I don't fault you for posting it, Raymond, but it's typical of the half-assed job ESPN does. They don't understand the sport at all.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 06-03-2016 at 07:17 PM.