View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 12:01 PM
Zach

Default Sioux City Cornhuskers

I read all the time that they were formed in 1894 in the Western League blah blah blah, yet I have seen and have a copy on my computer at home that shows the 1891 Sioux City Cornhuskers. I also have seen Old Judge cards with Cornhuskers players on them too. This seems to refute the 1894 founding year claims. I also heard they formed in 1885 the same year as the Western League formation, or should I say the first formation that collapsed in 1888.
I am wondering if they are only getting credit for being founded in 1894 because that was the first season of Ban Johnson's Western League after he bought it Nov 20, 1893.
I was wondering if anyone has any info on the pre-1894 Cornhuskers, or if anyone has any Old Judge Cornhuskers that want to show off. If anyone has any vintage pictures of the Cornhuskers, that would be awesome too.
I am asking about all this because I am White Sox fan from Chicago area and I am really interested in the Cornhuskers history since the Sox came from them. I know they were Pennant winners in 1894 within the Western League, but there is really no history from before then. Not even in the Baseball online library.
I would also like to open up this thread for pictures of other 19th century Western League franchises that became pro in the A.L. such as the Detroit Tigers, Baltimore Orioles etc...

Last edited by zljones; 03-19-2012 at 12:03 PM.