View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 09:04 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
True, the steroids mostly speed recovery. Which is exactly what makes it help build strength for an athlete who trains.

When things were coming out I asked someone I knew who was a wrestler/bodybuilder (classic wrestling, not TV wrestling) about steroids.
He said that the aid in recovery was the key. Typically someone needs downtime in training, heavy weights one day speed the next, or a couple days of weight followed by a couple light days. The muscles get damaged and get rebuilt a bit bigger and stronger. But it takes time, and overdoing it makes you weaker.
But with steroids the recovery is fast enough that someone can train hard every day. So the benefits of the workouts are at least twice as fast. Some stuff also lets the rebuilt muscle be much stronger, so a combination leads to a lot of mass and strength very quickly.

The downside is that once a person lays off the stuff they're going to be injury prone since now the workouts do far more damage than normal recovery time can account for. Nearly all the main users had a lost year with maybe a second "off" year after as they got hurt and readjusted to being normal again. And a rash of those happened in the year or two leading up to the testing program. still more came as the program was begun although the first year was very weak testing.

It's not possible to fail a test that isn't taken.

Steve B
Good points, it certainly does help with recover and I certainly looked at that route when I got injured. But regardless if you take steroids, doesn't make you better. Matt Lawton, Chuck Knoblauch, it did nothing for them. You still need to have the God given skillsets, and steroids don't change your genetic code or your muscle type fibers, so you still need to be able to see the ball and hit the ball. Does not help optical focal or hand eye coordination.