View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Bill T.

Memorial Stadium for the 1983 playoffs and Series. This was back in the day (did I just say that?) when actual fans could get tickets. I brought a chair and a blanket and sat out in line the night before with a couple hundred other fans. Darn Os were too good that year; never got to use my Game 5 playoff tix or game 6-7 Series tix. Ah, well, I did see Boddicker strike out 14 in game 2 of the playoffs. Series seats were in the next-to-the-top row along the third base side. Go up one row and you could look out over the edge of the stadium to see the city below

But that's not #1...

Friday, October 1, 1982. Weaver had announced at the beginning of the season that he'd be retiring at the end, and that Ripken kid had come up from the minors. The Brewers come to town for a four-game series, three games up on the Os. A Friday evening doubleheader, with 48,000 fans shaking brooms and screaming "Sweep! Sweep!" for two full games. Os won both, of course, then again Saturday, to set up the Sunday game (which Palmer lost, 10-2). Gives me chills just typing this.

Bill