View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Most memorable game personally seen

Well, I would like to say Don Larsen's W.S. PERFECT GAME in 1956, which I saw; but, not at Yankee Stadium.

Or, I can say the record-breaking NFL game at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore in the Fall of '72. Where Namath threw
for 500 yards and Unitas threw for 390 yards. I was there for that amazing game and still have the ticket to prove it.

But, here is my most exciting game......Sept of '51 my cousin pulls up to my house in his 1951 Buick Riviera convertible
and says he has two tickets to Ebbets Field. We arrive in Flatbush to an SRO crowd in the stadium. The Dodgers take
a 1-0 lead into the 9th inning. The Giants lead off in the 9th with two guys on base. Bobby Thomson slices a ball to RF.
Carl Furillo (the veritable rifle arm) wings the ball to home as the runner slides. The Umpire raises his arm to signify OUT.
Then the Ump changes his call to SAFE.....all "bedlam" breaks out in Brooklyn.

Apparently, when the dust cleared it, Campy had dropped the ball. The Giants went on to win 2-1. This game exemplified
the entire 1951 season, in which BB saw one of the greatest comebacks ever by the Giants....that culminated with Bobby
Thomson's "shot heard around the world" in the final playoff game between these two NY rivals.

TED Z