View Single Post
Old 10-26-2020, 01:07 AM
Nick Pascal

Default A reintroduction and a question about cards glued to scrapbook pages

Hi all! Just wanted to reintroduce myself and then get some advice about removing cards stuck to pesky scrapbook paper...

Anyways, hey guys, I'm Nick. Early 30's from Memphis. I've been a member here for a minute (mainly just lurking), but haven't been around hardly at all in the past year or so. But I was looking through some of my (small) collection the other day, and thought about how much I missed all the vintage love and knowledge on this board, so I've decided it's about time I start stopping by more often and becoming more active.

As far as collecting goes, my main focus is pre-war cards of guys playing for Memphis teams, as well as T206 portraits. I also have soft spots for 1948 Leaf, 1953 Bowman color, 1950's Redman series, and a few other oddballs here and there. Which bring me to my next point.....

I was recently gifted about 50 1948 Leaf cards from my grandpa (no SPs, but all the big non-SP names) that he found glued on some old scrapbook paper from when he was younger. Considering I already have about 15 commons and love that set, I was thrilled. But now I need help in figuring out the best way to separate them from the paper they are glued on to. There are thankfully a good number of commons on there so some trial and error will not be the end of the world.

So what tips do y'all have for separating cards glued on to thick scrapbook paper? I was planning on soaking one as a test, but does anyone have any tips or tricks that they swear by? Or things not to do?

Anyhow, thanks for listening to my spiel. Glad to be back and can't wait to engage more with the community. Hope everybody is managing alright in this crazy year and has been able to find at least a little bit of peace amidst the chaos.

(And yes, pics to come.)