View Single Post
Old 09-10-2021, 06:13 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

A Three-fer...

This tough 1973 Topps #449 Ken Aspromonte variation was mislabeled, unfortunately, as it is the Spahn 'rounded ear' (not 'pointy ear') version. Oh well. May have to get it corrected sometime down the line. I love grabbing up an occasional PSA 9 OC HOF'er when it looks quite nice and can be had cheaply, like this 1975 Topps Mini #530 Gaylord Perry. These cards fascinate me, because I never knew they even existed way back when (at card shows out here in CA, they are everywhere). I have never bought a PSA Authentic/Altered card before, but with this 1967 Laughlin World Series #61 Mickey Mantle 'with address' card, I live by a simple maxim. When you see one, you grab it, because they are extremely rare. Supposedly, Bob Laughlin only made a total of 300 of each card in the set with his address appearing on back (conventional wisdom holds that 20 of said sheets remained uncut), so who knows how many still exist and when one will ever come up for sale again (the reprints actually hold a decent amount of value, too, but they came out after the Mick's career was over and are pretty readily available if you want to drop a lot of coin). It probably should have just been labeled 'authentic,' because I don't see what alteration is being referred to. It has "0 76 70" (perhaps a Zodiac-esque code?) written on back, and was obviously trimmed down to match the size of Topps cards (I assume that's the alteration)...which segues nicely into an excerpt from my 'New Collectorisms' thread...

371. Edge Clippers
Kids who cut down larger cards back in the day to make them match the ‘new,’ standardized size of Topps cards.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.