View Single Post
Old 01-28-2004, 11:45 PM
Administrator

Default Suggestings about updating the authentication guides

Posted By: Hankron

I would like to add something about myself and my website. I am an independant historian and make no salary from what I do. I don't work for a museum or archives, I don't write LOAs for a fee or have Sotheby's hire me to judge their items. If I had some sort of grant or financial support I would love to keep all my guides and other resources online, but this is a luxury I don't have. I enjoy being indepenant as I only do what I am interested in or what I feel is important, but there are always inherent constraints as to the scope and depth of what I can do and what information I can provide at what cost.

I would have (and actually planned on) keeping the said guides online for free, but felt, that with the apparent only casual interest in them, it was best thing to remove them. It takes serious thought to decide what guides (especially when they offer unique content) should be available for free and which ones should not, as there is cost (monetary and emotional) to offering such material online for free (the guides are one-of-a-kinds and are copyrighted intelectual property and can potentially make money in different formats). The lukewarm response to the guides and their developlement convinced me that they shouldn't be offered for free anymore, and that different content should eventually be put there instead.