View Single Post
Old 10-25-2020, 10:06 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I don't see pitchers taking off much in the modern card market. Maybe there are examples. I think it's the Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Jackie Robinson model that has the most juice. Some raker with flair. Did some research for a nice DeGrom rookie and was surprised how dead his market is in rookie cards Guy has won two Cy Youngs and his cards are awfully weak.
I tend to believe that somewhat as well, Steve.
I see modern in all sports costing more than some well established, HOF's, and I honestly have trouble wrapping my head around it at times.

I dabble a bit in modern away from my 52 Topps cards and hockey cards, but for the most part, I mainly try to stick with vintage of players who already have a reputation/HOF career.

I know there are exceptions like Trout, etc, that haven't made the HOF yet, but those are few and far between, imo.

Of course, with manufactured scarcity, 1 of 1's , etc, some of those cards might be different if the player does eventually make it to the HOF, but I try not to play that game if I can help it.
Part of the big reason why I purchased my Walker Buehler cards is because he has the same name as my son. It's not a popular name so I just thought my son would think that is pretty cool, but then again, maybe not?