Thread: Why autographs?
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
True, but I am comfortable with my opinion when it come to cardboard. There isn't a card in my collection that I ever pause for a moment and question its authenticity. I couldn't even pull the trigger on a single signed Mantle ball, however, and even though I really would like one in my collection I doubt that I would ever be 100% certain about its authenticity unless the way I view autographs changes. I guess that my main issue is that although I want to expand into this region of the hobby, I cannot justify the expense of doing so without more faith in the matter.
How long did it take you to reach that comfort level? Buy the players you feel comfortable authenticating, and on the 'toughies' get an opinion (or purchase ) from someone you trust.

I am getting better at Mantle. It has been a gradual process, over a year at least. (Some have become experts in a few days ) At this point I still wouldn't buy a Mantle on my say so. When someone asks my opinion, it is based on the question "Would I be comfortable buying this?"

Last edited by Deertick; 04-04-2013 at 03:48 PM.