View Single Post
Old 12-05-2020, 07:21 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Baseball players with Native American heritage.... Let's see some

As a young kid, I remember 1951 very well. Bobby Thomson's "shot (HR) heard around the world", and Allie Reynolds 2nd No-Hitter that year. Check out this scenario......
Final weekend of the season. Ted Williams is at bat with 2 Outs in the 9th inning. Allie has his 2nd No-Hitter going. Williams pops a flyball behind Homeplate. Yogi Berra
drops it. Reynolds fires the same pitch again. Williams pops it up again behind Yogi, but this time Yogi holds on to it to complete the No-hitter.
After all these years, I can still recall that event which I watched on our tiny 12-inch TV. And, I very well recall Mel Allen referring to Allie as the ..... "Super Chief".

Allie Reynolds was 1/4 part Creek Indian. He started pitching in the Majors for the Cleveland Indians in 1942. The Yankees traded for Reynolds in 1946, after Joe DiMaggio
persuaded the Yankees Front Office to acquire him.
Personally, I think Allie Reynolds should be in the HOF. His numbers and other factors support this. SABR does a great write-up on Allie....check-it-out: https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/allie-reynolds/

John "Chief" Meyers was Matty's battery mate (1909 - 1915). His grew up in California, his Mom being a Native American of the Mission Indians tribe.
He was one of the better hitters, regarding Catchers, during the Deadball era. His career BA is a respectable .291

TED Z

T206 Reference