View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Joe P.

Default Whilst ( :) ) I might not agree with your approach sometimes, but .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago206 View Post
Just read the 4 pages of that thread. There is nothing conclusive about Ted's assertion that the card isnt real. It may be re-backed, it may be legit. What I get from Ted's argument is that because he has never seen, in person, a Cobb with a Hindu back, they must not exist. Im not too sure i'd subscribe to that theory. Someone dropped 38 large on that card. I tend to think that the guy who spends that type of money may know something about what he is buying. Ted offered conjecture, hypothesis, and his opinion. The other guy offered a year's worth of the average person's salary. Furthermore, since that very public sale occured about 3 years ago, dont you think it would be known by now if the card was indeed altered?

I definitely agree with your statement about Ted.
Ted is a nice guy, but he actually feels that if he doesn't see the card, it doesn't exist.
Facts, and anyones word is NOT good enough ... in his mind ... his assumptions, speculations and theories ... rises above all of that.

Maybe it went unoticed by his followers, but it was only two to three years ago that he discovered the Doyle error card.
Prior to that, outside of Larry Fritsch, the collecting world knew about the the Doyle error since 1987 ... Larry knew about it since 1980.

Until someone hit him between the eyes about the Doyle error card ... he was talking it down like he's doing to the Red Hindu Cobb.

If you notice, Ted will make statements about Bowmen cards ... but when it comes to tobacco cards ... they're mostly assumption, speculations and theories ... and when he makes a careless mistake ... he gets nailed ... this time by a newbie .